Monday, January 8, 2018

DIFFERENT CAPACITY (week 63)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU GUYS!!!! This week was pretty CRAZY!! Pretty stressful and lots of firsts hahahaah

This week I had to be a good leader and take some of the other elders for divisions.....they needed help visiting some people that they haven't been able to visit in awhile and it was CRAAAAZY!!! I felt sooo grown up like I had evaluate them and talk to them about what they could do better.....which is weird cause both Elder Carrion and Elder Lopez have more time in the mission than I do, buuuut it was fun.

This week was also CARNIVAL here in Popayan and in Pasto! Basically people get a bunch of plastic bags and soap and throw them at everybody.......it's basically if Syracuse had a giant citywide water balloon fight.....and yeah we got to work in that! It was a fun time, we were able to avoid everyone......except the members hahahahahahah!

Those same elders had a baptism this week.....Hermano Pedro!!! This guy is hilarious and has been investigating the church for over 2 different years and has quite a few sets of missionaries. He wasn't able to get baptized for a loooooong time but now he is......truly a testament that with the Lord we can truly overcome just about anything!

Elder Perez is the best companion ever!!! We just get closer and closer like this week I had a bunch of blackheads in my ears that he didn't like so he literally took some tweezers and just took them right out hahahahaha! He has been helping me a ton with my Spanish....he will have me read and if I don't speak in a good accent I have to start the whoooooooooooole thing over......it's frustrating but I love it soooo much!

We have a really good investigator named Daniel.....but our ward this week switched from 8 to 10 so he went to church with all the other Elders hahaahahahahha but the LZ were able to show him the filled baptismal font and I guess he got all excited and told them all about how he wants to be BAPTIZED! Sooooo yeaaah, I am excited for that!

Being a DL, is a hard job but I am enjoying being able to teach and serve in a different capacity....I am learning a lot through the struggle and its been good for me!!!

Sorry this letter was chichi, I just have a tooooon of stuff to do and not a lot of time to do it!!!

LOVE YOU ALL
ELDER OLSEN


Family Night with Hermano Sergio



The Bojorge family gave us a selfie stick for christmas so when we get bored we just take pictures like this hahahaah









My first set of divisions as a LEADER



ELDER PEREZ AND I LOVED CARNIVAL.....NOT 









 Waterbags all over the street hahaha



 Playing around waiting for a baptism














 TEEEENAZ :(


I am so happy for Hermano Pedro
















 MALL CHINESE FOOD YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!





Unpacking My Adjectives: 
Okay so I keep talking about jet so I figured that I should write about it. 

Chocolate: 
Jet chocolate is easily the most popular chocolate in the country and there are a bunch of different kinds. There is the basic regular chocolate, Cruj (kinda like a crunch bar), cookies and cream, and even raspberry kinds. But a lot of them don't come with stickers so the basic kind is the most popular. You can buy the basic small size bar for $400 which is super cheap or a bigger bar for $1200. They also have jet ice cream bars, I've never tried one but some of the other missionaries really like them. As far as the taste goes the chocolate is pretty basic...I don't think a lot of Americans would like them because they taste plain haha I really like them though...I like to put them in the freezer and eat them (: (Of course Garrett likes them! He doesn't like chocolate back home so it makes total sense that he would like the "basic" chocolate!)
The Album: 
About every two years or so Jet comes out with a new jet album...every year the album has a different theme. The last album was the "surprising planet" album which had photos of the planets and animals from all over the world. That album was a little more cartoony and had 300 stickers to collect. The current album is the "live the adventure Colombia" album. It's actually pretty rad, and there is national parks and animals from all over the country. The album is also divided into mini sections: marine adventure, adventure in the mountains, desert adventure, adventure in the forests and archaeological adventure. It's such a sick album and it shows places from all over the country. It also shows how you can get to them and endangered species in the area. They worked with National Geographic and the National Park Department of Colombia to make the album. It's rad! Something I have noticed about the album is that once they come out you have to buy them FAST...those suckers run out so fast! Pero VALE LA PENA! 
The Stickers:
The album is chevere...buuut a lot of it is black and white and you have to use the stickers that you collect to color it all in. There are 250 stickers in the new album...and I plan to collect them all. That's easier said than done considers some are more difficult to find than others. The stickers come packed in with the chocolate, it's literally a golden marketing scheme because nobody buys Jet for the chocolate....but for the stickers! Almost everybody that has a Jet Album also has a pile of repeat stickers that we use to trade. I have about 35 in my pile. The back of the album has a tracker to be able to see which stickers you have and what you are missing. 
Conclusion:
Soo yeah, it's a pretty rad system! And it's pretty addicting but it's something unique to Colombia and a classic! I know I'm always going to have memories of walking to the tienda "yo neiesto 4 chocolatinas Jet por favor" ;) (Garrett writes his unpacking my adjectives by hand and then I type them! There is another Spanish word in that sentence but I can't for the life of my figure out what it is so I'm sorry for all you Spanish speakers if that doesn't make sense!)



















































No comments:

Post a Comment